[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Nov 13 10:46:07 EST 2006

Shoshanna Walker wrote:
> It's not "the desire of women" - it's "The most desirable among
> women", and Daniel is referring to Israel

HH: It seems highly unlikely to me that Daniel is referring to Israel.
The context indicates that it is some object of worship. I tend to favor
the Tammuz interpretation, since that was a god worshiped by women in
Babylon and also Israel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammuz

In Babylonia, the month Tammuz was established in honor of the eponymous
god Tammuz, who originated as a Sumerian shepherd-god, Dumuzid or
Dumuzi, the consort of Inanna and, in his Akkadian form, the parallel of
Ishtar's consort. The Syrian Adonis ("lord"), who was drawn into the
Greek pantheon, is another counterpart of Tammuz[1] son and consort. The
name "Tammuz" seems to have been derived from the Akkadian form Tammuzi,
based on early Sumerian Damu-zid. The later standard Sumerian form,
Dumu-zid, in turn became Dumuzi in Akkadian.

Beginning with the summer solstice came a time of mourning in the
Ancient Near East as in the Aegean: the Babylonians marked the decline
in daylight hours and the onset of killing summer heat and drought with
a six-day "funeral" for the god, which was observed even at the very
door of the Temple in Jerusalem, to the horror of the reformer Ezekiel:

"Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the Lord's house which
was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
Then said he unto to me, 'Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee
yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these." —
Ezekiel 8.14-15

Dumuzid/Tammuz being the god of the vegetation cycle, this corresponds
to the changing of the seasons as the abundance of the earth diminishes
in his absence. He is a life-death-rebirth deity.