[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 03:06:19 EST 2006

On 11/13/06, Gary Hedrick wrote:
>      Yitzhak, you make a good point here.  I was overstating it when I said
> the text was "clear."  The translators appear to be divided over the
> possible messianic significance of Haggai 2:7.  Some take it as messianic
> and others say the prophet is simply talking about a future time when the
> treasures of the nations would flow into the Second Temple.  But even so,
> wouldn't such a scenario be necessarily messianic?  Isn't it in messianic
> times that the nations will bring tribute to Jerusalem and honor Israel's
> King Messiah?

It doesn't say the Messiah will be honored.  It says the Temple will be
honored.  If anything, the individual honored here is the High Priest.  Speaking
of these verses as Messianic is quite anachronistic.  Haggai doesn't even
use the term Messiah at all, although he mentions often both the governor
of Judea and the High Priest.  In light of that, it seems to me quite
problematic
to suggest that Haggai espouses a messianic point of view.

Yitzhak Sapir