[b-hebrew] We and us

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 18:54:15 EST 2006

Mah nishmah, Yigal,

I was just about to send off a note to you pointing to Revell's work
when I saw David's post.

Revell explains the choice between ani and anoki pragmatically.  ani for
  "immediate" situations where social distance and formality are either
uncalled for or abandoned, and anoki to express "distance," that is,
when a speaker takes care to express formality, restraint, timelessness.

I think the explanation works, but then again, I am sort of partial
toward "pragmatics."  I think Vince DeCaen has researched an
alternative, semantically driven explanation in Samuel-Kings, but I
don't know if he ever published.

Shalom,
Bryan

--