[b-hebrew] A Puzzle - find the catchword

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sun Nov 12 18:44:18 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

I think the "catchword" is yumetu because yumat or mot yumat is so often
a penalty for sin against Mosaic law.  Deu 24:16-17 are incongruous
because the subject of the surrounding passage is the treatment of
servants who would often be strangers (no mention of death penalties).

As Ben Zvi is searching for an explanation for this incongruous verse,
he refers to the parallel subject matter on the treatment of strangers
in Exo 22 because there may be a suggestion that any stranger who
worships another god require the death penalty.

The idea Ben Zvi is putting forth for consideration is that the Deu vv.
may be clarifying the correct treatment of pagans and low-class folk.
The disrespected classes had to be treated justly, as individuals.  They
couldn't be prejudged by their status as strangers or by being family of
any individual who promoted idolatry.

I think it's a good point because I think the book of Deu as a whole has
the most clarifications and qualifications applied to the death penalty
of any Torah book.  For example, there are prescriptions for all the
following: judges have to research a matter, find two or three
witnesses, how to deal with matters that are too complicated, what to do
when sin is by accident, the accusers having to throw the first stone,
parents having to throw the first stone at their rebellious children,
etc.    On the whole the book of Deu throws the waters of careful
justice on the heat of vengeance and anger.

I agree that that Ben Zvi's text is too obscure at this point.  But I
still like the idea that he asks questions without giving answers.

Hoping to help,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine