[b-hebrew] Song of Deborah / Song of the Sea

Ian Young ian.young at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Nov 8 16:55:42 EST 2006

Hi Jack,

The basic work arguing that the language of these and other texts is archaic is:

D. A. Robertson, /Linguistic Evidence in Dating Early Hebrew Poetry/ (Missoula, Mont.: Scholars Press, 1972).

For a brief summary of why I think the argument doesn't work (despite the quality of Robertson's book), see my:

"Biblical Texts Cannot be Dated Linguistically" /Hebrew Studies/ 46, 2005, p.341-351 esp. p.342-343 [the title gives a tiny hint as to where I'm going...!].

In the pipeline, one of my PhD students is writing on the question, and there is a chapter in the book I am writing with Robert Rezetko, Linguistic Dating of Biblical Texts..., but in the meantime, the Hebrew Studies article is the best I can offer.  If you, or anyone else, can't get it easily, contact me off-list and I will send you a pdf.

-Ian Young
University of Sydney

Message: 3