[b-hebrew] infinitive absolute

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Nov 1 13:57:05 EST 2006

Hi Joel,

To label the paronomastic use of the infinitve absolute as an
"intensifier" or as "emphatic" is so reductionistic as to be a mere
caricature of the thorough treatment this construction has received by
the likes of Muraoka et al.

Of a case such as mot yamut, where it is impossible to imagine someone
being "emphatically dead" or "more dead," we can refer to Muraoka's
summary of situations when the paronomastic infinitive absolute
reinforces some brand of modality rather than verbal action:

"...it is important to remember that the basic idea common to all the
nuances of our construction as described above [referring to the
"reinforcement of modality"] is that a given verbal idea is set apart
and made distinct in abstracto, namely without any indication of person,
  number, etc.  In this way it is stressed that the writer or speaker
has  especially intense interest in, or demands special attention of the
hearer or the reader to what he expressed by the verbal form" (_Emphatic
Words and Structures in BH_ Jerusalem: Magnes, 1985), p. 88.

If we don't know that the paronomastic infinitive absolute is somehow
emphatic, somehow an intensifier, we are also going to have to imagine
knowing extremely little about BH on any point.  Is this your goal: to
cast doubt on all our "traditional understanding" of the ancient tongue?

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine