[b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be"

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Fri Jun 30 14:17:31 EDT 2006

Similarly, concerning 'ehyeh 'asher 'ehyeh, it is "not merely a
philosophical phrase; the emphasis is on the active  manifestation of the Divine
existence....To the Israelites in  bondage, the meaning would be, 'Although He has not
yet displayed His power  towards you, He will do so; He is eternal and will
certainly redeem you.'   Most moderns follow Rashi in rendering 'I will be what
I will  be, i.e. no words can sum up all that He will be to His people,  but
his everlasting faithfulness and unchanging mercy will more and more  manifest
themselves in the guidance of Israel.  The answer which Moses  receives in
these words is thus equivalent to, 'I shall save in the way that I  shall save.'
It is to assure the Israelites of the  fact of deliverance, but does not
disclose the  manner.  It must suffice the Israelites to learn  that 'Ehyeh, I
WILL BE (with you) , hath sent me unto you.'" (emphasis original)  -- Dr. J. H.
Hertz, The Pentateuch and Haftorahs, 2nd  edition (Soncino Press, 1985), p. 215

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 06/30/2006 9:33:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,