[b-hebrew] The God of Israel "does not have a name"?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jun 30 07:52:32 EDT 2006

Garth's Hotmail wrote:

>Rochelle,
>
>You have said, "The god of Israel does not have a name."
>
>The God of Israel has said, "ani YHWH hu' shemi",  "I am YHWH -that is my name".
>
>It seems He deprives you of your argument.

HH: I don't think Rochelle thought that God did not have a name in any
sense. Obviously. God has a name in some sense; the text cannot be
ignored. I think she was responding to Shoshanna the same way I was. You
have to go  back and look at Shoshanna's comments to appreciate where
Rochelle is coming from. Obviously God gave us a  name for Himself. That
is not the issue. It's what kind of name that was the issue.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard