[b-hebrew] "I Am" vs. "I Will Be" (word order)

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Fri Jun 30 04:45:46 EDT 2006

Dear Bryan,

The word order of a clause may change the mode or the stress of it. So, yes,
a and b *may* signal a difference in meaning. Clause b is somewhat strange,
though. The problem is that there are many clause-initial YIQTOLs in the
Tanakh which appear to be indicative. So word order is not conclusive; we
need some other clues from the context to draw particular conclusions. The
clause )HYH )$R )HYE seems to have a formulaic character, and I see nothing
in the context suggesting a modal force.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo