[b-hebrew] "I Am" vs "Will Be"

Michael Abernathy mabernathy714 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 29 20:07:35 EDT 2006

I just recalled an old article by Dennis McCarthy "Exod 3:14 History,
Philogy, and Theology," Catholic Biblical Quarterly 40, no. 1 (1978). He
states concerning Exodus 3:14, “Or the sentence is taken as a true
future meaning `I shall really be with you to help.' No doubt is has
such overtones, but the future of hyh always has a predicate, as it
must, for `I shall be' used absolutely means the speaker is not yet in
existence, a very unstable platform from which to speak." Has anyone on
this list taken the time to examine this claim?
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy