[b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

Ken Penner ken.penner at acadiau.ca
Thu Jun 29 12:42:22 EDT 2006

Peter wrote:

> Indeed, but getting (probably) even closer in time to the
> original, the LXX is EGW EIMI hO WN "I am the being (one)",
> all present tenses. This is because, according to many,
> Hebrew changed from being aspectual to being tensed during
> the Hellenistic period, from the influence of Greek.
> Early in this period, when LXX was translated, the original
> aspectual sense was still understood. By several centuries
> later, the time of Theodotion and Aquila, the aspectual sense
> was being lost and the verbs were being understood as future
> tense forms.

Can you provide references for these "many" who claim Hebrew changed from being aspectual to tensed in the Hellenistic period? Can you trace the sources for these claims?
The reason I ask is that to my knowledge, the major study the translation of the tenses in the LXX concludes that the Hebrew verb forms were not tenses or aspects but moods at the time of translation.

Zuber, Beat. 1986. _Das Tempussystem des biblischen Hebräisch: Eine Untersuchung dem Text._ [The tense system of Biblical Hebrew: an investigation into the text.] (Beiheft zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft, 164.) Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Acadia Divinity College
Ph.D. Thesis: "Verb Form Semantics in Qumran Hebrew Texts: Hebrew Tense, Aspect, and Modality between the Bible and the Mishnah"
M.C.S. Greek Verbal Aspect