[b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Jun 29 11:27:50 EDT 2006

On 29/06/2006 16:07, Awohili at aol.com wrote:

> In attempting to bring the Greek of Exodus 3:14 closer in meaning to
> the Hebrew text, the 1st (or 2nd) century translators Theodotion
> and Aquila gave us ESOMAI (hOS) ESOMAI, "I will be who I will be."

Indeed, but getting (probably) even closer in time to the original, the
LXX is EGW EIMI hO WN "I am the being (one)", all present tenses. This
is because, according to many, Hebrew changed from being aspectual to
being tensed during the Hellenistic period, from the influence of Greek.
Early in this period, when LXX was translated, the original aspectual
sense was still understood. By several centuries later, the time of
Theodotion and Aquila, the aspectual sense was being lost and the verbs
were being understood as future tense forms.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/