[b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Jun 29 10:48:02 EDT 2006

On 29/06/2006 15:33, Awohili at aol.com wrote:

> In the book, _201 Hebrew Verbs_ Abraham S. Halkin lists ehyeh as the future
> aspect of the kal of HYH. ...

Is this a book of MODERN Hebrew? Of course in modern Hebrew the
"imperfect" or YIQTOL form is a future tense, and so the meaning is
uncontestably "I will be". But in biblical Hebrew, at least as
understood by most scholars, this verb form indicates not so much a
tense as the imperfective or continuous aspect, meaning in the context
something like "I was and I am and I always will be", or, in simpler
English, "I am".

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/