[b-hebrew] YHWH is Aramaic?

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 08:47:00 EDT 2006

For some reason, my post did not come through formatted as I sent it, and  is
confusing.  So I will try again:

In  a message dated 06/28/2006 8:40:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
hholmyard at ont.com writes:

HH: 1) There is  no strong reason to  think that God has a name like Ralph to
distinguish  him from others,  since there is only one God.

SL:   No, but that is not the only reason to have a name.  A name  expresses
essence and qualities and purpose, especially a self-given  name.  There is
no
evidence in the Scriptures that YHWH is a  name that man gave to God.  It
appears
to be that it is the  name that God gave to Himself and revealed to  humanity
over 6,000  times in the Hebrew text.

And  even though monotheists believe there is only one true God,  there have
been other entities worshiped throughout human history from  which YHWH  has
be distinguished.

HH: 3) The  explaining of the divine  name in the context of the name "I am"
suggests  that Yahweh is a  meaningful word, too, and the form of Yahweh
is quite  similar to the  verb for "I am," except in a third person form.

SL:  "I am" is only one possible English translation for ehyeh.  Even the
King
James Version translates ehyeh as "I will be" at Exodus  3:12.

HH:  Here is the  HCSB Exodus 3:13-15:

14  God  replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to
the  Israelites: I AM has sent me to you." 15 God also said to Moses,
"Say this  to the Israelites: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God  of
Abraham,  the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to  you.
This is My  name forever; this is how I am to be remembered in  every
generation.

SL: Correct.  YHWH is His name. Forever.  And how He  wants  to be remembered
in
every generation.  So how do modern  English versions  remember it?  By
covering
it up with  "Lord."  Some remembrance!   "Lord" expresses only a little of
what YHWH signifies.

Solomon  Landers