[b-hebrew] YHWH is Aramaic?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Jun 29 04:42:41 EDT 2006

Dear Rochelle,

a. The spelling YHWH has nothing to do with German, but rather is based on
the assumption that in antiquity, the letter vav was pronounced "w", like in
Arabic. Whether this assumption is historically accurate is a different
question.

b. YHWH is certainly treated as a proper name. While your assertion that
"The whole point is monotheism -- a single god does not need a name" may be
true philosophically, in the reality of the ancient world, the God of Israel
had to be distinguished by other gods - both by Israelites (who in practice
often worshipped other gods) and by others. The Mesha stele mentions "the
vessals of YHWH" that Mesha captured in the Israelite town of Nebo.

c. In the Zoilos inscription, the Greek part uses THEOS, which can either
mean "god" or refer to a specific god, especially Zeus. All that remains of
the non-Greek is "NDR ZOILO" - a verb or noun that is used in both Hebrew
and Aramic, and a Greek name. The script is Aramaic - although it was also
used by Hebrew. We have no record of "Israelites" living in the area (the
upper Jordan Valley) in the 2nd century BCE (although there might have
been). So how do you know which god was referred to, in what language, not
to mention all the rest? It is certainly not "proof" of the way in which the
name YHWH was used in Judah or Israel 10 to 5 centuries earlier.

Yigal Levin