[b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Jun 29 01:03:09 EDT 2006

On 29 Jun 2006 at 2:48, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> On 6/29/06, Dave Washburn wrote:
>
> > Actually, it does have a bearing.  The most common claim made by those
> > who reject the historicity of certain people, places and events is that the
> > texts are "late."  Using that basis, comparison to cognate languages such
> > as Ugaritic and Akkadian, and sometimes even Aramaic and Moabite,
> > becomes an implicit or explicit comparison of "early" languages versus the
> > "late" Hebrew, and virtually all differences between Hebrew and its cognates
> > are explained this way.
>
> Can you:
>
> 1) Give an example of such scholars who use the "late" date of the Bible to
> make linguistic conclusions on the similarity of Hebrew, Aramaic, Moabite,
> Ugaritic, and Akkadian?

At the moment, no.  I'm 900 miles from my library and there's nothing much I can use around
here.  But for starters, most of the so-called minimalists take such an approach.

> 2) Explain how come this conclusion -- that Hebrew was a development of
> Canaanite -- came to be accepted in a time when it was the scholarly
> consensus that the Patriarchal narratives were historical?

Can you give some examples of this?

> 3) Give an example of specific linguistic phenomena that could be understood
> as ancient and prior/concurrent with such languages as Ugaritic or Amarna
> Canaanite?

See number 1 above, but a good place to start would be M. Dahood's works.  In fact, his
commentary on the Psalms in the Anchor series caused a firestorm because of the way he
used Ugaritic to challenge some of the more common linguistic assumptions about Hebrew.
Sorry I can't be more specific; once again, see number 1 above :-(

Dave Washburn
Encephaloriasis: That condition generated when the person you are dealing with is so
incredibly stupid, you can actually feel your own brain cells drying up and flaking off.