[b-hebrew] Benjamin

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jun 28 13:20:55 EDT 2006

Yigal:

You can't rule out that two individuals sharing the
same name were involved. Especially a name like Dan.

Genesis 14 mentions that Abraham and his troop
caught up to the four kings at a place called Dan,
then pursued them to the left side (i.e. north) of
Damascus. If the four kings followed the main
trading route from Sodom to Damascus, that would
indicate that Dan in Abraham's day was south of the
Sea of Galilee if in the Jordan Valley, or possibly
along the King's Highway if to the east.

Further, as I pointed out in the example of
Beersheba, Dan in Abraham's day needn't have been
the name of a town, just the name of a commonly
used pasture, well, or some other such feature.

The next mention of Dan as a toponym in Tanakh that
I know of is in the last chapter of Deuteronomy,
which most people agree was appended onto the book
later, after when the tribe of Dan had captured and
renamed Laish to Dan. All other references to Dan
as a toponym are later.

Karl W. Randolph.