[b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Wed Jun 28 00:11:27 EDT 2006

Dear Chris,

Besides all of Yitzhak's perfectly correct comments bellow, what all this
means is that the demographic majority of the people who eventually became
"Israelites" and wrote the Hebrew Bible were of Canaanite origin. There are
other reasons to assume this as well. This does not mean a priori that there
was no Exodus and no Abraham - but it does mean that the biblical accounts
of these events cannot be take at face value.

Prof. Anson Rainey, by the way, has developed a threory according to which
BH is actually a "transjordanian" dialect (more akin to Moabite than to
Pheonician), but I have yet to read all of the evidence.

Yigal