[b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jun 27 19:57:01 EDT 2006

On 28/06/2006 00:22, Chris and Nel wrote:

> I hope some of you can see my problem in trying to grapple with this 'Who
> spoke What' situation.  I am wanting to place the theoretical side of all
> the talk about how hebrew has changed and been influenced into a down to
> earth reality ---- could Abraham and Moses have had a good old chinwag
> together without an interpreter?

Probably not at all easily, simply because they were separated by many
centuries. You would probably have great difficulty talking to
Shakespeare, greater difficulty than you have with reading his plays,
because English pronunciation has changed considerably. Similarly,
probably, between Abraham and Moses, although we can only guess at the
details.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/