[b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite

Chris and Nel wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Tue Jun 27 19:22:02 EDT 2006

Hallo,

If the Lingua Franca of the Israelites at the time of entering Canaan circa
1400 BC(1250 BC for some), is classed, by linguists and biblical scholars,
as a dialect of Canaanite, how can I understand this in terms of:

1. The Israelites having around 400 years to 'cement' a unique spoken
language in Egypt that would have been a direct ancestral lingua franca from
Jacob (who is classed as an Aramean in the scripture) and yet:......

 2.  His language was somewhat different from Laban's as testified when they
set up boundary stones and gave them names in their own tongues (even though
they were related)? This would:......

3. Lead us to believe that Jacob's language/dialect was markedly different
from Labans who was syrian aramaic.  Making sense since Abraham would have
spoken Babylonian Aramaic I presume?

Am I right in concluding that, in so far as the "Spoken Language" of the
exodus Israeliets is concerned, they would have spoken a Babylonian Aramaic
Tongue that slowly fused with Canaanite language to become a distinct
language in itself, this seems improbable, I would imagine, when really an
invading force driving out its inhabitants would surely continue to retain
its own unique lingual identity that was formed in Egypt, and to a great
degree in isolation, from the surrounding canaanitish culture and language?

I hope some of you can see my problem in trying to grapple with this 'Who
spoke What' situation.  I am wanting to place the theoretical side of all
the talk about how hebrew has changed and been influenced into a down to
earth reality ---- could Abraham and Moses have had a good old chinwag
together without an interpreter?

Thankyou.

Chris Watts (a self studier, not a student)
Ireland.