[b-hebrew] Psalm 118:6

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jun 27 05:47:36 EDT 2006

On 27/06/2006 07:31, Kim Chua wrote:
> Thanks for all the help.  I had thought if it could be
> YHVH+I as in EL+I = my God

This kind of construction never happens. YHWH is nowhere in the Hebrew
Bible found with a personal suffix. The only examples of YHWH apparently
being "possessed", i.e. in the construct state, are in the construction
YHWH C:BA)OT, traditionally translated "LORD of hosts", but it is
unclear whether this should really be understood as a construct chain.
Whenever the English is something like "my Lord", "Lord of all the
earth" (Joshua 3:11,13 etc) etc, "Lord" renders )ADON [not )ADONAY], the
regular word for "lord", "master" used also of human lords and masters.
As YHWH functions as a name, and unlike Abraham etc this name refers to
only one deity, there is no need for YHWH to be possessed, even
grammatically.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/