[b-hebrew] Benjamin

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jun 27 05:38:40 EDT 2006

On 27/06/2006 08:40, Yigal Levin wrote:
> Of course, to those who believe that the Torah was written by Moses, who was
> a prophet, this is no problem. God, who wanted the text to be relevant to
> people living in future generations, had Moses use a term that they would
> understand. Most of Moses' contemporaries didn't know the Land that well
> anyway. To those who do not use "prophecy" as part of their scholarly
> discourse, the ONLY probable solution is that these passages (at the very
> least!) were written many generations after Moses and refect the geography
> of the writer's day (or his concept of HIS past).

This is the position not only of those who deny prophecy in principle.
Indeed if I remember correctly one traditional Jewish explanation for
this mention of Dan in Abraham's time is the same as for Deuteronomy 34,
that these are additions from after Moses' time. I don't deny that there
is real predictive prophecy in the Tanakh. But Genesis 14:14 looks to me
not like an isolated (not in a prophetic context and unnecessary)
instance of prophecy, but rather as an editorial addition or correction
of an obsolescent place name.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/