[b-hebrew] Benjamin

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jun 26 16:55:19 EDT 2006

Karl,

If by "the claim you mentioned in the paragraph at the bottom of this note"
you mean "the insistance of some scholars that anything in the ANE must be
somehow related to the Bible, and that the "Patriarchal traditions" in the
Bible MUST reflect a "pre-Israelite" reality", than I agree, this claim is
also absurd.

Where I don't think that I agree with you is when your state that "they
assume that any name that is also reported in Tanakh therefore refers to a
Biblical individual is a de facto denial that names may have been reused by
ancient, Semitic peoples".

Do you mean that anyone who thinks that "Abraham" was a real person
automatically denies that there may have been other, unrelated, people who
were also named "Abraham"? Why?

Yigal Levin