[b-hebrew] Sanhedrin

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 24 20:08:26 EDT 2006

Dear Liz,

Shoshanna is confusing tradition with history, or, rather, she insists that
tradition IS history. You should know better.

Basically, Jewish tradition holds that Moses, at the insistence of Jethro
(Ex. 18:14 ff.), established a system of "appellate courts", at the apex of
which was his council of seventy elders. This system continued to exist
throughout ancient Jewish history, except during those periods in which
persecution made it impossible. The name changed through time, from Great
Assembly (Kenesset Gedolah) to Gerusia (the Greek equivilant of "Senate") to
Sanhedrin, but the content was the same. And so Boaz, Samuel, Mordechai,
Ezra, Simon the Just, Matthias, Judah the Macabbee, Hillel, Gamaliel, Simon
ben Gamaliel, Yohanan ben Zakkai, Rabbi Akiba were all "Heads (Nasi) of the
Sanhedrin". After the destruction of the Second Temple, the Sanhedrin
"wandered" to Yavne, Usha, Sepphoris and finally to Tiberias, where it
remained until it was abolished be the evil Romans.

Historically speaking, we know very little of the existence of such a body
before the second century CE. The theory that Liz quoted bellow is just one
of several. The NT makes the Sanhedrin look like a kangaroo court, but
that's its agenda. Rabbinic sources assume the existence of a high Jewish
court in Jerusalem, which (in good times) exercised authority over the
Temple and its Priests. Very likely, this is a retrospection by the later
rabbis. However it would seem that in the aftermath of the Bar-Kokhba
revolt, the Roman authorities did recognize a sanhedrin, or assembly of
rabbis, as a representative body of the Jews who were left in the Land of
Israel. This is basically the body that produced the Mishnah and the
Jerusalem (or "Palestinian") Talmud, and its rabbis imagined their authority
stretching all the way back to Moses.

Yigal