[b-hebrew] : .. benjaminites before there was a benjamin

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 24 19:21:23 EDT 2006

Dear J. Anna,

"Benjamin" literally means "Son(s) of the Right". "Right" in this context
can refer to the right, or strong, hand (which is the explanation hinted at
in Gen. 35:18), or to "the south", since in the ANE, "front" was east,
"back" was west, "left" was north and "right" was south. Most scholars
assume that the Israelite tribe of Benjamin was called that because it was
the southernmost tribe of the original "Israel" (excluding Judah). If so,
then the story in Gen. 35 is etiological.
In the archives found in the eastern Syrian city of Mari from the 18th
century BCE, there are documents mentioning a "tribe" of semi-nomads called
"sons of the right" - a linguistic cognate of "Benjamin". They were called
this because they lived to the south of Mari. There was also a tribe called
"sons of the left/north". In the past, there were scholars who suggested
that these "Benjaminites" were the ancestors of the biblical tribe - the
chronological and geographical distance is much to large for this to be
taken seriously. All the similarity does show, is the way in which some
tribes were named in the ANE, and that Israel was no different.
It is very unlikely that the Bible actually refered to people who lived in
the 18th century in eastern Syria.

Now, the question of there ever having been a "historical" PERSON named
"Benjamin", that's one for a separate discussion.

Yigal