[b-hebrew] Pharisees (was: oral Torah)

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 24 18:08:32 EDT 2006

We actually know so little about the "Pharisees" during the Second Temple
Period. The NT is certainly not a reliable source about them, since its main
interest is showing the points on which Jesus' interpretation of the law was
"better" then theirs. Josephus' statements are general and quite laconic.
And the later rabbis of the Mishnah and Talmud, while considering themselves
to be the Pharisees' "heirs" in stateing that the Sadducees and everybody
else were heretics, actually preserved very little of their writings.

Yigal