[b-hebrew] oral law

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sat Jun 24 12:26:04 EDT 2006

You wrote:
> I am looking
> at the Hebrew in this verse.  You can slaughter the animals as I have
> commanded.

But you didn't say which verse. Presumably we are permitted to discuss
the interpretation of the Hebrew of a particular verse, but we can't do
so if you don't tell us which verse. You also wrote
> The written text tells us which texts
> to put into the Tefillin, but it doesn't tell us how to make them,
> how to tie them, and more.

Of course it doesn't. That's because such matters, like so many details
of religious practice, are not divinely specified. If this verse, I
suppose you mean Deuteronomy 6:8, is intended to be taken literally at
all, God did not choose to specify exactly how these commandments were
to be tied to hands and foreheads because this was a matter for each
person, or each community, to decide for themselves. And that is what
happened; one community's decision on these details has become
traditional Jewish teaching and practice. But what matters to God is not
the details the principle behind it.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/