[b-hebrew] Formulation of the law

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Jun 23 19:59:15 EDT 2006

There actually are - at least one that I know of - situations like
that that are recorded in the Torah.  One where sisters have no
inheritance, they appeal to Moshe, and he and G-d rule in their favor
- I really don't remember any of the details.

And if you extend your last sentence to the time period up to now,
that is what the Sanhedrin and later interpreters of the Law, did
regarding new situations that arose and continue to arise, based on
principles laid down in the Torah.

Shoshanna

Moshe writes a law which says about offering up XYZ when
you circumcise your son. A few weeks/months go by and
a few families can't afford XYZ and go up to Moshe and
say 'We would really like to be able to offer up XYZ to
show our appreciation to Yah for the beautiful son he's
given us but we really can't afford it.' So Moshe has a
think about it, goes off and has a chat with Yah, comes
back and says 'Alright then. Poor families can give
ABC.'

Looking at many of the finer grained laws in the Torah
you can imagine similar stories that led to the
eventual consolidation of an entire law code that covers
  just about every situation you could possibly think of
over the 40 year period of their wanderings.