[b-hebrew] Formulation of the law

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.apu.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 19:21:22 EDT 2006

Just to clarify a point I tried to make in another thread
about the law being formed by Moshe as time passed.
Consider the following hypothetical example.

Moshe writes a law which says about offering up XYZ when
you circumcise your son. A few weeks/months go by and
a few families can't afford XYZ and go up to Moshe and
say 'We would really like to be able to offer up XYZ to
show our appreciation to Yah for the beautiful son he's
given us but we really can't afford it.' So Moshe has a
think about it, goes off and has a chat with Yah, comes
back and says 'Alright then. Poor families can give
ABC.'

Looking at many of the finer grained laws in the Torah
you can imagine similar stories that led to the
eventual consolidation of an entire law code that covers
 just about every situation you could possibly think of
over the 40 year period of their wanderings.