[b-hebrew] oral Torah

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Fri Jun 23 17:58:25 EDT 2006

Peter Kirk wrote:

>On 23/06/2006 21:11, Brak wrote:

>>So just because you have Jesus debate with other Pharisees doesn't mean
>>that Jesus rejected the Oral Law, nor does it mean that Jesus wasn't a
>>Pharisee Himself. ...
>>

>Indeed. But if you read the gospels, which are (as James pointed out)
>more or less the only records we have of the historical Jesus, we find
>that Jesus rarely debated with the Pharisees, but more frequently he
>simply condemned them - and vice versa. For example, see the repeated
>"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!" of
>Matthew 23. Note that he doesn't say "Pharisees of that other school",
>he addresses all Pharisees, and all teachers of the law. It is clear
>that he is not counting himself as one of them, but as an outsider
>challenging all of them. That doesn't mean that he disagreed with all of
>them on every point. But it does make it impossible to claim that Jesus
>was himself a Pharisee.

Its called intra-sect criticism, aka fighting amongst yourselves. I am a
Seventh-day Adventist Christian. Many times I talk about Christians
doing things that they shouldn't do, and even Seventh-day Adventist
doing things that they shouldn't do. Since I criticized other Christians
does that make me not a Christian? Since I criticized other Seventh-day
Adventist does that make me not a Seventh-day Adventist?
Of course I am still both a Christian and a Seventh-day adventist even
though I have criticized both. Hence Jesus can be a Pharisee and
criticize them at the same time. So it is not an impossibility for Jesus
to be a Pharisee, in fact when all the info is laid out it points to Him
being one.

>Earlier you mentioned verses 2-3 of the same chapter, where Jesus tells
>people to be careful to do everything that these same teachers of the
>law and Pharisees tell them to do; but in the light of what follows,
>that can only be understood as ironic!

Not really ironic, but rather a grave warning to those who teach/preach
one thing, and then turn around and do the opposite. Jesus was
criticizing that they weren't practicing what they preached. How they
gave a good talk, but not a good walk. How they taught and instructed
the people to faithfully observe the Law (both written and oral) but
ignored to do it themselves.

I think, if you wish, we should continue this discussion of-board, as
all this Jesus talk really has nothing to do with the forum - at least
none that I can see.

But I am enjoying our discussion. So please do replay back to me. In
fact we can CC all those interested in this current thread.

B"H
John Steven