[b-hebrew] Meaning of the words "sons" and "daughters"

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 12:18:37 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ wrote:
> In the olden days to be a Jew meant to be one of Judah's
> decendants.

No, it meant to be a resident of the kingdom of Judea.

> Was David the name of a commonly known tribe? Was there
> ever a nation called David? Was there even a geographic
> location called David?

Yes.  The term "Beth David" is known as a geographical name
from the Tel Dan inscription and is apparently used similarly in
some cases in the Bible (1 Kings 12:19, for example).    I
understand George Athas (moderator of the list) wrote a whole
book on the topic, but I haven't read it.

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com