[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jun 23 11:30:52 EDT 2006

Dear Shoshanna,

>Except that's not what happened.  Yigal explained it very well

HH: I wrote what I did before Yigal said anything, but in fact claiming
authority to give truth that is not in Scripture can obviously lead to
perversion since people may have few ways to check whether you are
telling the truth. Even the prophets themselves verify to such
corruption of God's word by men in positions of authority:

Jer. 8:8 How can you say, “We are wise,
and the law of the LORD is with us,”
when, in fact, the false pen of the scribes
has made it into a lie?

HH: And the idea that every interpretation about the quality of the
behavior of everyone in Genesis has been passed down from Moses seems to
go beyond what Yigal said. He spoke about there being no need for
subsequent additions to the written Law, which I understood to concern
how people where to act and live. Of course, a rebuttal to Yigal is that
no Oral Torah is needed for this since the Written Torah is sufficient
in itself. Certainly, there were things not included in the written law.
For example, there were accepted ways of slaughtering animals, but that
does not have to be a matter of God-given law. God accepted the ways
that the people already had of doing many things. I am not saying that
tradition is not good or important. I am saying that it is not
necessarily God-given law. We go to Scripture to check whether something
is God-given law, and that is what God intended that we do, since Yigal
is right that the law was given in one period of time.

HH: The claim that Rashi's view necessarily represents the view of Moses
of course shuts down disagreement. But Rashi is just a man who lived in
the Middle Ages (1040-1105 C.E.) and tried to understand the Tanakh the
best he could, just as the rest of us do. He was an outstanding
commentator, but his views are not automatically right, nor do they
automatically go back to Moses. The fact that the rabbis and wise men
disagreed about all sorts of things and contradicted one another at
times ought to show that they do not necessarily speak from Moses.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard