[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Jun 23 06:57:52 EDT 2006

On 23/06/2006 03:36, Harold Holmyard wrote:
> ... (quoting the official list guidelines)
> Please honor the following guidelines in all your contributions:
> • Debate that forces particular faith or doctrinal perspectives onto a
> reading of the text is not appropriate subject matter for this forum.
> • Proselytizing ("seeking to convert someone to a certain religious
> faith") is also not appropriate. Naturally, each of us will share our
> own understanding from our own perspective, but this should not be done
> with the goal of changing other participants. ...

It seems to me that Shoshanna has been persistently breaching the first
of these two guidelines with her insistence on reading the text in the
light of the so-called "Oral Torah", whose existence (at least from
earlier than late the Second Temple period) and authority is her faith
and doctrinal perspective. While she has not been openly proselytising,
the way that she has been arguing for her position reads rather like
trying to convert others to her faith position. Attempts to convert
anyone to Christianity would rightly be rejected on this list. A similar
position should be taken on Shoshanna's propaganda for her own brand of
Judaism.

As for John's mention of Hillel, it seems from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder that remarkably little is
known about him and his teaching. Maybe Jesus did take some of his
teaching; on the other hand, if as this page suggests Hillel was the
head of the Pharisees in Jesus' time or shortly before, why were they
following Shammai's teaching when Jesus confronted them? On the other
hand, it just might be that the Pharisees accepted some of Jesus'
teaching, but because they had rejected Jesus as a person (not for his
teaching but for his claim to be the Son of God) they attributed the
teaching they had accepted to the late and venerated Hillel. But it is
interesting to read that Hillel may have been the inventor of the doner
kebab!

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/