[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Thu Jun 22 21:38:22 EDT 2006

The reason I joined this list was to engage in scholarly conversations
about textual analysis, not get into theological discussions.

But since this thread has beens o long and so persistent I have decided
(maybe the result of lack of better judgment) to give my three cents
(extra penny due to inflation)

According to various belief systems (including some Christian sects) the
Law was given in two formats - written and oral. Hence the acceptance o
f an Oral Law does not constitute an "adding" to the Law, but rather the
acceptance of the Law in its fullness. And as stated there are a lot of
blank spaces which the Oral Law fills in. Also their is the reality that
a picture is worth a thousand word - and so is oral instruction. Imagine
trying to write instructions, using only words, on how to throw a
football correctly. It would be very hard and cumbersome, a lot of time
and effort would be involved - as opposed to the minute or two it would
take to do it in person via an oral teaching format. This helps the
puzzle to fall into place, as if you knew of the oral teaching and you
read a simple note from the coach saying "throw the ball" you would know
what to do. But without that context you could very easily try to throw
the football in the way a  pitcher throws a baseball - a throw but not
the right one.

It is important to make a distinction between the Oral Law given to
Moses at Sinai, and the Rabbinical Laws added as an attempt to "fence in
the Torah". Many people make the mistake of merging these two distinct
items into one, but the Mishnah and Talmud do make these distinction.

As to the Jesus factor. In the context of the text He was speaking
against the Rabbinical additions that the particular group of Pharisees
had created. It wasn't a statement again the Oral Law, or all Rabbinical
Law - just that of the particular group.
There were sub-sects within the sect of Pharisees. The two major ones
that most are aware of is that of Hillel and Shamia. If you study the
debates between those of Hillel and those of Shamia, and then compare
that to the debates between Jesus and the "Pharisees" you will find some
amazing similarities. For example the issue with the healed paralytic
carrying his mat on the Sabbath was a debate whether it is lawful to
carry an item within the same domain. According to Hillel you can (this
is the halacha observed today), according the Shamia you can't. And let
us not forget that Jesus taught His follows to obey the halacha of the
Pharisees and Sages. "Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in
Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe
and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not." (Mat
23:2-3) So Jesus was saying that even though they may not practice what
they preach - we as Christians are to.

But I return to my initial line of thought. Is this area of discussion
proper for this forum?
I was under the impression that the forum was to discuss variants
between manuscripts, q/k issues, parsing of words and translation.
This thread to me has been basically about doctrine, dogma, creed, and
faith.

So am I incorrect and this forum is open to theological debating, or is
it as I originally thought - an area for textual analysis and research.

If I am incorrect please forgive me for raising an issue about it. If I
am correct please forgive me for adding my three cents to the discussion.

B"H
John Steven