[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Jun 22 10:34:09 EDT 2006

Dear Harold:

Abraham merited being one of our avos (forefathers).  His 2 most
famous character traits were that of a man of FAITH and
charity/chesed.  Hashem subjected him to 10 tests of faith, he passed
all of them.  This abduction of Sarah by Avimelech was one of these
tests.  He therefore was not a coward.

Mr. Boyd wouldn't know that if he didn't study Torah including Oral
Torah.  It is not chauvanistic to say that you won't get a proper
education or understanding if you don't learn the material.  It is a
true thing to say, that you can't understand Torah from just the
written text alone.

Our Sages and Commentaries learned by means of an unbroken chain of
Oral Tradition, which is briefly outlined in Pirkei Avos in the very
first verses.  The more I read what I am able to read (I can't read
Aramaic, I can read Hebrew but it is faster for me to read in
English, and there is a lot of material translated into English), the
more I see that there is one unified body of knowledge that they are
all imparting.  It is not thought-stultifying to learn Torah, in fact
Torah is without limit.

There is also Torat haNistar - the "hidden" layer of Torah - which
does teach about the mechanics of Creation, and the spiritual levels
of the universe, and does tell us the future - since everything,
past, present, and future is contained in the Torah, it is just a
matter of finding, extracting and learning it, and like everything
else, it must be by teachers.  It is fortunate that we have the
Mishna, the Gemarra, the Zohar and all the Commentaries on those
texts to explain and elucidate for us through thousands of years.

Learning the material does not mean coming up with your own ideas -
just like if you were learning biology, you wouldn't tell the teacher
that you think that metabolism really involves something else that
was your own idea.

What I object to about the last sentence was calling Avraham a
coward, that is completely contradictory to Torah - THAT is what is
insulting to Avraham.  No one would argue that Avraham admitted and
explained why he had lied, and also that he had not completely lied,
as I wrote in a previous post - since it says so in the text.  And I
never said anyone doubts Avraham.  There is in fact not even anything
insulting about telling us that Avraham lied, since in Jewish
Halacha, it is most definitely permitted to lie in certain clearly
defined circumstances.  What Rashi was pointing out was that when one
lies, it is preferable to tell as much of the truth as possible, and
that Avraham was correct FIGURATIVELY, as I wrote earlier, and that's
what he was explaining to Avimelech.

As far as archeology and increasing scientific knowledge, over and
over again, they "discover" what Torah, including Oral Torah, and
those who taught and wrote down Torah, taught thousands of years ago
and extracted during that time.  I am not really that versed in all
that literature, but I do know that Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, and
commentaries on Sages such as the Maharal, discuss this, as do more
modern writers as new scientific discoveries come to light, I also
watched a program (it is on several nights a week, for 2 hours after
midnight, and I think I was able to watch it 3 times) on cable TV in
Israel when I was there in March, where a rabbi (I forgot his name)
taught this, with specific examples - every program he had more -
which he extracted from Kabbala.

Shoshanna

HH: Here is the last sentence to which you refer:

     This double relationship suggested to Abraham the expedient that he
twice used when he lacked faith in God to protect his life and in
cowardice sought his own safety at the price of his wife's honor.

_________________________

HH: The article was written in 1915 by J. Oscar Boyd. I don't know much
about him except that he wrote a number of articles for the
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. I used it because it is
available online. I have the modern edition of this encyclopedia, and
the same idea is presented by P. J. Scalise. Scalise was one of the
authors of the commentary on Jeremiah 26-52 in the Word Bible Commentary
series. I don't know why you say this sentence above shows no
understanding of the Torah. And I don't what makes your "Sages and
Commentaries" more authoritative than this sentence above. God gave his
word for people to understand, and you don't necessarily have to be
Jewish to understand it. It seems very chauvinistic to talk the way you
do about not needing anything beyond the Oral Torah and the Sages and
Commentaries. It also stultifies the progress of thought to assume that
everything correct that can be said about Scripture has already been
said. I personally don't believe that at all, and Scripture itself
indicates that some things won't be known until the end times (though it
would not relate to this point):

Dan. 12:9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up
and sealed till the time of the end.

HH: At any rate, with the flood of new information about ancient culture
and languages provided by archeology, we know a lot about the words of
the Bible that the Oral Torah, the Sages, and Commentaries may not have
retained. It may possibly bear on stories in Genesis. I am not saying
that this is the issue here. Really, here the issue is simply whether
Abraham is to be believed, and I see no reason to doubt him.

HH: To me it is insulting to Abraham to say it shows no understanding of
Torah to believe Abraham when he admitted and explained what's he'd
done. The sentence above to which you object simply accepts Abraham at
his word. There is no way that it cannot show understanding of the Torah.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard