[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Jun 22 08:15:59 EDT 2006

Dear James,

>Re Abraham's intentions:
>
>Whether what Abraham said can be construed as a lie or
>not one thing is absolutely clear and that is that his
>intention was to deceive. Deception is not necessarily
>a morally bad thing and David's pretense at being crazy
>is another example of one our ancient heroes getting
>involved in not completely honest activities.

HH: I agree with everything you've said and think it makes a good
distinction in the motives for which one distorts the truth. But I also
see that David did not really lie. He acted in a certain way, and people
drew conclusions on the basis of his actions. Likewise, Abraham did not
really lie, though he withheld important information. Sarah was his
sister, a half-sister, according to his later testimony.

HH: While I agree that he misrepresented the truth, I think it would
have been worse if Sarah really was not his sister in any way. For then
he would have had a policy of lying, since he said it was his policy to
have Sarah say this wherever they went. And he would have asked his wife
to lie as a policy. I see a difference between that and her simply
giving a limited amount of information. Sarah's saying that she was
Abraham's sister was not a full-fledged lie if she was his sister,
although the limited data misrepresented the situation.

HH: We do see in Rahab's case the use of a clear lie. The way this has
been justified to me is that it is the lesser of two evils. It would
have been worse for Rahab to reveal to the people of Jericho that the
spies were still in her residence. It would have been worse not only
because the king of Jericho would have killed the spies. If he had done
that, then Rahab could never have escaped the extermination policy of
the Israelites when they captured the city. Rahab believed that God was
going to give the city into the hands of the Israelites:

Josh. 2:9 and said to them, “I know that the LORD has given this land to
you and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live
in this country are melting in fear because of you.
Josh. 2:10 We have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea
for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og,
the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely
destroyed.

HH: It was Rahab's faith in God that informed her of the necessity of
receiving mercy from the spies. To tell the truth to the soldiers of
Jericho would have meant that she and her family would lose their lives
when the Israelites destroyed the city. She knew this by faith, so her
faith itself prompted her to lie. It was wrong to lie, but she believed
it was better to lie and live than to tell the truth and die. Her lying
put her on the side of God's people and God's will. And, of course, the
New Testament Book of James commends her for her faith:

James 2:25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered
righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent
them off in a different direction?

HH: James does not mention her lie explicitly, but saying that she sent
the spies out "in a different direction" may allude to it. She sent them
out in a different direction from the direction that the Jericho
soldiers had taken. The soldiers took the direction they did because she
told the king that the spies had left the city and she did not know
where they had gone. The king's deputation of his soldiers was based on
her false report, and because she saw where the soldiers headed she
could tell the spies to escape to the hills to avoid the soldiers.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard