[b-hebrew] talmud ... batting average

C60605 at aol.com C60605 at aol.com
Sun Jun 18 23:41:31 EDT 2006

-
yigal....ou make it sound as if the "web-sites and  references to 14
daughters" are
on par with the biblical text. They are not. The biblical  text is our only
primary source. The rest is various attempts to understand  the text, all of
which depend on the interpreters' own assumptions and  prejudices (such as my
assumption that it would be unlikely that Jacob had  only one daughter, and
Sujata's experience of families of multiple same-sex  children). We must not
confuse the two.

      .... j   Anna ...  with my  lack of knowledge re talmud and any other
extra-biblical jewish sources,   i'd really love to know what the ''batting
average''  of these  sources are.

Then perhaps i could make some rational decision as to whether i wish to
believe these sources when they have 14 daughters for jacob.   How  often are
these sources correct ?  How often are they wrong ?    And, yes, i have to assume
there's a LARGE space for  ''who the heck  knows'' .... space for those items
about which we will never know with any  certainty.  Perhaps the 14 daughters
falls into this latter  category.
-
-