[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Jun 18 16:04:10 EDT 2006

We know exactly how many daughters Yaakov had.

Rashi tells us in his commentary on Bereishit 35 verse 17 (when
Rachel's midwife said to her when she was having difficulty in
childbirth  - "Have no fear, for this one, too, is a son for you" -
THIS ONE TOO - ie: IN ADDITION TO) where he cites Genesis Rabba 82,
which teaches us that with every son, was born a twin sister, and
with Binyamin was born an extra sister.

Shoshanna

Dear Karl,

While what you write may be true (although do you have any examples?), one
cannot assume that Jacob did not have other daughters. As I wrote,
statistically, for a man with 12 sons to have only one daughter is not
likely. It's more likely that the text simple did not consider them
significant enough to mention.

Yigal