[b-hebrew] Princess Ruth?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sun Jun 18 02:31:58 EDT 2006

If you read my posts from the past two days, you will see that I don't think
that the rabbis of the Talmud even meant to convey "historical truth". The
midrashim of the Talmud are didactic literature, not history.

As far as Ruth, I agree that nothing in the text would lead us to assume
that she was anything but a commoner. "Proto-feminist"? I'm not sure at all.
I'm also not sure that the genealogy of David at the end is not a later
addition, in which case the original book had nothing to do with David. On
the other hand, the emphasis on Elimelech's family being "Ephrathites from
Bethlehem", just like Jesse and David, might not be coincidental.

Yigal