[b-hebrew] high-priests ..... left-hand

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 17 17:25:55 EDT 2006

Dear Anna,

Yes, priests who had any deformity, permanent of temporary, were not allowed
to perform sacrifices. Obviously, a priest who cannot perform sacrifices is
also disqualified from the office of High Priest. In fact, Josephus recounts
that one of the later Hasmoneans, I think Aristobolus III, chopped off his
uncle's ear, thus disqualifying him for the High Priesthood, so that he
could have the job. If I remember correctly, he was later drowned by King
Herod in a swimming pool. In any case, a list of these disqualifying
deformities is written in Lev. 21:17-23. "Left-handedness" (Hebrew "Itter")
is not among them. But I would not be surprised if later halakhah (Jewish
law, such as the Talmud and Rambam) included left-handedness in the list.
Just a generation ago, left-handed people were considered handicapped. My
father is left-handed. I remember him telling me that when he was in school,
his teachers forced him to write with his right hand.

Yigal