[b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Jun 17 15:53:01 EDT 2006

Dear Anna,

I'm not surprised, since I am familiar with this midrash. It is based on two
things: the mention of "all of Jacob's sons and daughters" who tried to
comfort him in Gen. 37:35, and the assumption that Jacob, who went all the
way to Haran to find his wife(s), would not have allowed his sons to marry
Canaanite women.
Such midrashim were "invented" by the rabbis for didactic purposes, and were
not meant to be taken as "historical fact". That later commentators did just
that, is a problem that Jewish educators have to deal with.
What I am surprised at, is that anyone takes the website that you got the
story from seriously. To me, it looks like a garbled mix of mostly nonsense.
Please don't let it be your introduction to Judaism, if that's what you're
looking for.

Yigal