[b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jun 13 21:27:26 EDT 2006

James:

I'm afraid that I don't really have any WOW stories
from knowing Hebrew: after all, most of what I know
of the Hebrew Bible, I read in Hebrew. It's sort of
hard to have a WOW moment connected with Hebrew
language when I have so little experience reading
Tanakh outside of Hebrew language as a comparison.

Rather what you can tell your students that one
does not have to have a great amount of classwork
in order to read the Hebrew Bible. I had all of one
year in class, followed by a couple of years where
I hardly touched Hebrew, then I started in Genesis,
reading slowly but steadily, until I reached the
end of 2 Chronicles. That was interesting, so I did
it again. And again. And again. Until I lost count.
I read it using a card under the words to hide the
vowel points. I read it using a font derived from
the writing on the Gezar calendar. Most recently I
have been reading using a program from the Sword
project http://www.crosswire.org where the text is
in unicode, reading it without points and accents.

So encourage your students. Of course they will
make mistakes. I did. The first time through they
will misunderstand portions. I did. But the Hebrew
is within reach. It is not overwhelming. With a
little bit of practice, the book will open.

The closest I have to WOW moments are in comparison
with the New Testament, how even the terminology
used is so similar in meaning despite being a
different language.

Karl W. Randolph.