[b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories

Edward Andrews edandrews at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 13 02:01:44 EDT 2006

James:

My wow comes with Exodus 3:13, 15, when I first learned that God has a personal name. For those who speak Hebrew, it is full of meaning. It comes from the basic Hebrew root ???, h·w·h, meaning, "to become" However, the name is in the causative form, Hiph·?il´, expressing causative action. This has helped me to appreciate that God's personal name is not about His existence but instead that he causes things to come to be or to come about according to His will or purpose. When He chose to free His people from Egyptian bondage, He caused it to be. Is it not comforting, to realize, there is no power that can stand in the way of the things JHVH (YHWH) purposes to do? Thus, He causes Himself to be the fulfiller of His promises to His creatures, His name alone assures us that something will be done, it is certain. Furthermore, a personal name to me equals a personal relationship. It boggles the mind to think one can actually have a personal relationship with the Creator of all things!

Edward Andrews

Grand Canyon University

3300 W. Camelback Road Phoenix AZ 85017