[b-hebrew] Psalms and Sedarim

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 20:06:38 EDT 2006

It is true that some of the parshot are broken up that way, but not in
this case though.

A while back I did a contextual analysis and a large group of breaks.
Some of the breaks are in the strangest places. Such as right smack in
the middle of a genealogy list. The last line in the sedar told the
first, second and third sons, the next seder continued with the fourth
son and continues with the rest of the genealogy list. Another break
splits up a poem.

Here is one blatant one that I was able to quickly find as an example:

Joshua 18:25 "Gibeon, and Ramah, and Beeroth,"
Joshua 18:26 "And Mizpeh, and Chephirah, and Mozah,"
Joshua 18:27 "And Rekem, and Irpeel, and Taralah,"
BREAK
Joshua 18:28 "And Zelah, Eleph, and Jebusi, which is Jerusalem, Gibeath,
and Kirjath; fourteen cities with their villages. This is the
inheritance of the children of Benjamin according to their families."

So you see the logical place for the break would be after verse 28. in
fact the text has a paragraph break <P> after this verse. But the
sedarim break is at the beginning of this verse. Befuddling.

It truly is a mystery. And to my dismay I haven't found anyone or
anything which has an explanation to the breaks.
Hence me coming and join this forum. With such a collection of scholars
I was hoping that someone would have an answer/explanation.

B"H
Brak