[b-hebrew] Psalms and Sedarim

Joel Stucki joel at stucki.ws
Fri Jun 9 17:08:03 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Brak <Brak at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Why does the Psalms have sedarim at all?

Reading through your other post about the list address not getting in
the reply field properly, I noticed that a response I made got sent to
an individual instead of the list (I feel stupid now). But I made a
response to this thread earlier that has a link to a good article on
the timing of the Sedarim including the ones in Psalms. I'll repost it
here now that I have the right email address in the to field :)

On 6/8/06, Daniel R. Pater <paterdr at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bratt:
>
> Returning to your question regarding the rationale guiding the old
> Palestinian three-year cycle divisions (sedarim), I am ignorant of any
> research or position on this and would be interested to know, for purely
> intellectual curiosity (see below).  Perhaps manageable length?  I have not
> looked into this at all.  Again, if anybody else has information....

I know that Adolph Büchler did some studies on this. He speculated
that the divisions were based on landing significant portions of the
Torah on specific weeks of the year. I googled to see if I could find
anything on this and found a good article that talks about his work
and others in figuring out the old triennial cycle at
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=327&letter=T.