[b-hebrew] annual and triennial reading of the Torah

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Fri Jun 9 10:52:49 EDT 2006

As I said, the triennial reading is known to be an ancient custom of the
Jews in the Land of Israel, and was not preserved in later Judaism. It is
mentioned in several sources, but not much is known about it. The custom
followed by all Jewish communities in the last 1,500 years or so is that of
completing the Torah annually, in 54 weekly parshiyot (also known as sedarim
or sedrot) of between about 50 and 120 verses. The first portion, Bereshit,
including Gen. 1:1-6:8, is read on the Sabbath that follows the end of the
Sukkot holiday, and the last, Vezot Haberakhah (Deut. 23:1-24:12) is read on
the final day of Sukkot (this is in fact the only parashah that is read on a
festival and not on a Sabbath - most major holidays have readings that are
"outside" of the regular cycle) - followed by the reading of the first
chapter of Genesis, just to "get into" the next cycle. (This day is
celebrated as Simhat Torah, the rejoicing of the Torah).
In Judaism today, the weekly parshiyot cycle is so universal, that they are
often used as dates - "on the Monday of parashat so and so.." The weekly
portions are also often used as the basis for sermons or study sessions in
the synagogue.

By analogy, I would have imagined that the triennial cycle worked the same
way, but I'm not sure. I don't think that anyone does, though I could be
wrong.

Yigal