[b-hebrew] New Subscriber

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Thu Jun 8 05:36:21 EDT 2006

On 08/06/2006 06:35, Joel Stucki wrote:

> I also noticed a few unsuccessful posts of Hebrew. Please indulge me
> while I satisfy my curiousity about how Hebrew comes across in the
> mailing list when I try it from Gmail. :)
>
> Best regards,
> Joel Stucki
>
> Hebrew
> אני לדודי ודודי לי
>
> Hebrew and English together
>
> I am לדודי and my beloved לי
>
> With Vowels
>
> בְרֵאשׁיִת

This Hebrew arrived fine and displays correctly (although rather small)
in Thunderbird, because it was sent with Unicode UTF-8 encoding.
Presumably this is the gmail default, which is very sensible for what is
obviously intended as an international system. Google searches also work
with Unicode UTF-8, including in Hebrew.

A few days ago I wrote here that
> The only proper standard-compliant way to send Hebrew script to the
> b-hebrew list is to select plain text with UTF-8 encoding
This is not quite true; you can also use one of the Hebrew character
encodings, ISO-8859-8 or Windows-1255. At least the latter supports
Hebrew consonants and niukd/vowel points (as well as the basic Latin
alphabet, no accents), but teamim/accents are supported only in Unicode
- and many readers may not have fonts which support teamim.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/