[b-hebrew] Sederim Divisions

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Thu Jun 1 12:15:27 EDT 2006

In the LC and also Hebrew Bibles published my Koren Publishers have the
Sederim notated.

Some places where these divisions are placed make sense, but many of
them do not.

Here are just two:
Judges 4:24 (Why isn't it 5:1)
Judges 14:15 (Why isn't it 15:1)

But where the really weird stuff located is in the Minor Prophets.
Now the Minor Prophets, as I assume you all know, are considered as one
book, so the count doesn't restart to one at the beginning of each book.
If you look at the 4th sederim its at Hosea 14:6, the 5th is at Joel
2:27 - why isn't the seder break at Joel 1:1?
That is just plain weird in my world of logic. This happens all
throughout the Minor Prophets.

This weirdness is also found in the Psalms where the breaks land near
the chapter break by a verse or two, but not on the chapter break.

SO my question is what is the rhyme and reason to this. What is the
method to this seemingly madness. For to have the 4th division of the
Minor Prophets occur at Hosea 14:6 and not Joel 1:1 (or even the 5th
division occurring at Joel 2:27 instead of Joel 1:1) just doesn't make
any sense what so ever to me. So if anyone can enlighten me please do.

--

John

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you
behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.