[b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Jan 31 19:15:36 EST 2006

On 31/01/2006 22:21, Herman Meester wrote:

>It is quite possible that Hebrew once had (no longer visible) case
>endings, in the same way modern standard Arabic (on the higher
>stylistic level at least) still has.

As I understood it, these endings are never actually used in modern
Arabic, but only in classical texts, and I suppose a few deliberate
imitations of classical texts. If I am wrong here, I would be interested
to know - as I am trying to study Arabic.

>However, if we have original case endings that have ossified and no
>longer function as case endings, such as the word layla לילה, which is
>probable the "accusative" of layl ליל, cf.  יומם ולילה yomam wa-layla,
>then this is indicated with a mater lectionis ה hey.
>
>The fact that לילה layla, unlike feminine words ending on -a ה, has
>penultimate stress, proves this. ...

Is the directional he suffix also an ossified accusative ending? This is
also unstressed, I think, and is also written with a he mater lectionis.

>... Third, Hebrew doesn't
>have real open syllables that have patach. ...

Patah is found in stressed open syllables in words with non-final stress
like TAXAT "under" and BAYIT "house", and in the dual suffix -AYIM. But
I suppose such words are basically segolates, with patah instead of
segol next to a guttural or a yod, and so were originally closed by two
consonants which became separated by the late addition of an unstressed
vowel.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/