[b-hebrew] Chronolgy Problems (Flood & Creation)

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jan 31 12:37:56 EST 2006

Walter:

This just illustrates why we avoid really arguing about
dates on this forum - the earlier the date, the more
variation there is.

In earlier discussions we noted that there is a variance of
up to 50 years as to when Nehemiah rebuilt the walls of
Jerusalem, 300 years as to when Pharaoh Raamses II
lived, and so forth, according to published sources. Is it
any surprise, then, that there should be so much variation
in dates for events that happened much earlier, namely
the flood and creation?

We haven't touched on copyist errors in manuscripts.

The bottom line is that we can't be sure about any of these
dates. Therefore we should not argue about them.

Karl W. Randolph.